First-Time Home Ownership Help
AHA assists any first-time home buyer to determine their mortgage readiness and understand the home buying process by providing group workshops and one-on-one home buying counseling.
Determining Your Affordable Housing Eligibility
Affordable housing takes many forms and is provided through various agencies, including COAH, HUD and HFMA. Each agency has varying eligibility requirements. AHA is a certified Administrative Agent providing all services dictated by the Council on Affordable Housing. We can assist you by providing information and resources concerning the purchase of affordable housing. We also manage affordable homes in Asbury Park, Atlantic Highlands, Barnegat, Eatontown, Manalapan, Marlboro, Millstone and Wall Township as well as affordable homes in housing developments constructed by leading developers.
- Click here to submit an Intake form.
- Once you have completed and submitted an Intake form, an AHA housing counselor will contact you to determine the programs for which you may be eligible.
- Click here for additional information on determining household eligibility.
Once an application has been received, it will be processed and you will be placed on a waiting list(s) for the township(s) where you are interested in residing. An AHA housing counselor will notify you in writing of your application process date and time, and the bedroom size and income category (low or moderate) for which you qualify. Applicants are referred to both new construction and re-sale homes based on a lottery system.
- All applicants must complete a Home Buyer’s training. Applicants can either complete an Online Homebuyer Education Course or register for a face to face Educational Workshop,
Click here for Online Homebuyer Education Course
Click here for a flyer on AHA’s Pre-Purchase Workshops.
Click here to view a schedule of the AHA’s Home Buyer’s Educational Workshop and register for a session.
- We recommend that all home buyers also attend a free Post-Purchase Homebuyers Workshop once they have achieved the goal of homeownership. Participants will learn more about mortgage financing, asset building, maintaining good credit, and preventive maintenance of your home to ensure its value.
Click here for a flyer on AHA’s Post-Purchase Workshops.
Click here for Post-Purchase Workshop dates.
Home Buyer’s Educational Workshops
To attend a Home Buyer’s Educational Workshop, please:
- Click here for an initial online Intake form. Please complete and submit the Intake form.
- Click here to view AHA’s Home Buyer’s Educational Workshop schedule and to register for a session.
- There is a $25 fee payable in advance for each workshop. We accept credit/debit cards or money orders payable to AHA. No checks, please.
One-on-One Housing Counseling
To schedule a one-on-one counseling session, please complete and submit the initial Intake form and an AHA housing counselor will contact you to set up an appointment.